“Life begins at the end of your comfort zone” – Neale Donald Walsch
The most damaging thing in your life and the most effective method to get stuck and unhappy is to stay for years where you feel comfortable. The comfort zone is a nice place, but nothing ever grows there and that is basically because you don’t grow.
You get stuck in an infinite loop of the same habits and routine with nothing in your life to take you one step further. Scientifically, the comfort zone relates to the anxiety levels as in a comfort zone offers low anxiety levels. With nothing to fear or any risks to be taken, anxiety is absent; you stay the same and in the long run it may lead to regrets.
This is how you can leave it and make things happen FOR you:
1) Do Things Differently: One of the main characteristics of the comfort zone is doing the same things over and over again just because they feel safe, familiar and bring you the feeling of comfort.
How? Don’t take the safe/known path anymore. Start doing things differently in your everyday life. For example: Take a different route to work, change your diet for a couple of weeks, join a gym or go more often if you already joined one.
Be it small or big changes just do them. Imperative: Create no expectations; do not regard these changes as being positive or negative but as new, as tools to expand your comfort zone because even negative experiences can teach us valuable lessons. Just keep at it!
2) De-clutter: De-cluttering can help you break out of your comfort zone by making a change in your surroundings and pushing your lifestyle towards a more minimalist one. Doing this you will face the decision of throwing or giving a way things that were present in your everyday life.
How? First of all, don’t rush into it, do it one step at a time. I have prepared 3 challenges to get you started.
- Colleen Madsen at 365 Less Things gives away one item each day. You can start by giving/throwing away one thing a day.
- The Robbers bag challenge: See how fast can you fill a bag with either trash to throw it out or things to donate them.
- The 10:10 Hunt: Hunt down in your home 10 things to donate and 10 things to throw away. You can even turn it into a competition with your loved one to see who finds those things faster.
3) Trust Yourself and Make Quick Decisions: Usually, when facing a decision, we sit down and really think about it. Truth is that deep down we are weighing the feasibility of the decision accordingly to our comfort zone –to see if it fits there-.
How? Trust yourself and go with what you are feeling even if it scares you. Worst case scenario it will be a lesson to learn from, but it won’t ever be a failure. The quicker you make the decision the less you can overthink it. If it makes you feel naked and defenseless, do it, as you will experience growth.
4) Facing Your Fears: Fears are the main thing to keep you in the comfort zone. When facing something that brings fears up, high levels of anxiety are created which make you rather not take action but to stay where things are comfortable and familiar.
How? Get an actual piece of paper and write down top 10 fears that you have. For the next 10 weeks confront 1 fear/week and write the results of the experience down. Remember: If it scares you, DO IT!
5) Celebrate: Last but not least, celebrate! Yes, every small step taken out of your comfort zone is to be celebrated.
How? Not much advice I can give here, you know how to celebrate your wins. Treat yourself with anything that makes you feel rewarded and congratulate yourself!
Getting out of your comfort zone IS difficult but not impossible. If you find yourself challenged with doing that BOOK A FREE 1-ON-1 SESSION HERE to see how can i help you with my time.