As the year is almost over, a new and fresh one is awaiting us to start a new chapter of our lives. But can we do that if we keep re-reading the last one?
Each and every one of us has a Past, which undoubtedly is a part of what makes us the person that we are; it is there to teach us various, valuable lessons but not to define our individuality.
Usually the past –mostly the part that we hold on unto- weighs heavily, so, clearly, such burden is keeping us stuck, preventing us to move on into a freer and happier paradigm of our lives where we are able to explore our full potential.
I made a list which contains The Top 5 Steps that Will Help You Let Go of The Past:
1) Weigh the Pros and Cons: Holding on your past can be sometimes beneficial, but this is a rare case. Mostly, not letting go has a negative impact on you by creating a negative mindset and missing out on present opportunities.
HOW? Think about those past experiences that dwell with you and get an actual piece of paper. Make two columns PROS and CONS; write down on those columns accordingly. To help you get clarity ask yourself questions like: “Does holding onto this experience has a beneficial impact on my life?”, “Does not letting go change anything about what already happened?”, “Am I missing out on any opportunities by holding on?”, etc.
2) Let it all out: Past emotions are constantly building up every time you evoke the past in one way or another generating a negative state of being. But keep in mind that what you resist it persists.
HOW? As you are now focused on those past experiences you are holding on to and having the pros and cons written down you need to let all the pain related to those experiences out. Cry, scream, swear, do anything that makes the pain come out and lets you feel it. Feel to Heal; be present with your negative emotions and feelings. After letting it all out, think of how much of that experience is credited as being your fault and take responsibility for it. Make peace with that past mistake!
3) Commit to letting go: As with anything that brings value and transformation into your life, in order for it to manifest into reality you should make a full commitment to it.
HOW? Realize you have a choice, the choice to LET GO, GET BETTER, BE POSITIVE AGAIN, SIZE OPPORTUNITIES and TO BE PRESENT in everything you do. Make a new commitment to yourself to let go and get someone close to you to keep you accountable for it.
4) Mind your thoughts: Thinking about that experience often will get you into a cycle of negative thoughts. Avoid thinking about it and focus on the positive things in your life.
HOW? First of all you should avoid overthinking at all costs. -Read more about how to avoid overthinking HERE-. Observe your thoughts, don’t judge them just observe them. Ignore the unpleasant thoughts while knowing that a bunch of more pleasant ones will be along shortly.
5) Focus and Live in the Present: The past and the future are mere illusions. No action you take NOW can undo the past and tomorrow is nothing but a concept. The only moment that can count is the present moments, that is why it is called the present because it is a gift.
HOW? Be aware in all of your actions no matter what you do. Eating, brushing your teeth, reading, etc. Be both the protagonist and the witness of your actions. Live in the moment. For this particular step I recommend reading: The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle as it can give you all the clarity you need on living in the present.
The process of letting go can be found difficult or rather impossible. If you need any help with this subject or any other one regarding your transformation, feel free to book a free session by clicking HERE!